Global Citizenship at Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel
Starwood Hotels has a legacy of caring for the communities in which we operate, so Global Citizenship comes naturally to us. Our work focuses on the environment and our communities and leverages our people, our brands, our relationships and our global reach because we are uniquely equipped to help our associates and guests create a better world to experience.
Policies & Reporting
- The key element of our actions is the worldwide Starwood Global Citizenship Program.
- All Starwood Hotels in Germany implement the legal environmental requirements.
- As first hotel chain, Starwood Germany has signed the codex “fairpflichtet”, a sustainability code of the German Speaking Event Industry, which contains guidelines and principles of corporate responsibility for substantiating sustainability in the organization and execution of events. These guidelines support us to act sustainably, e.g. with the responsible use of resources and energy, the open exchange of relevant information and with by raising the awareness of social competence.
- We work closely with the „Carbon Disclosure Project“ (CDP), an independent, non-profit organization that provides a global system for companies and cities to measure, disclose, manage and share environmental information. The CO2 calculator offers a possible evaluation of the climate impact of an event.
- The Starwood Program „30:20 by 20“ which started in 2008 sets the goal to reduce our energy consumption by 30% and our water consumption by 20 % until 2020. All Starwood hotels and resorts worldwide have committed to this program.
Our hotel has a sustainability consultant, who explicitly deals with environmental initiatives at Sheraton Hanover Pelikan Hotel:
Antje Zierau, Assistant to the General Manager/Human Resources Manager
- With our Sustainable Meeting Program we offer our guests as well as meeting planners the possibility to act, travel and meet sustainably:
- Paperless booking and meeting planning with electronic booking programs, requests for proposals and offers as well as the electronic sending of contracts as well as food and beverage suggestions.
- With our tool “StarGroups” meeting planners can create an individual website with an own URL for their event. Meeting attendants can book their rooms easily and environmentally friendly as well as get additional information on this website.
- „Check out for Children“: When checking out one US-Dollar can be donated to our partner UNICEF. This donation is voluntary. Thus, Starwood Hotels & Resorts and UNICEF want to create a better future for children – since 1995 more than US$ 25 million have been raised.
- „Make a Green Choice“: Guests get a € 5 voucher per stay for our bar, can donate € 3 per night to UNICEF or earn 250 Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints® for each night they decline housekeeping services in their hotel room and consequently support the local environmental initiatives of the hotel.
- „Clutter Free Meetings“: include streamlined stations that provide paper, pens, glasses, water and other thoughtful touches, keeping the main work area uncluttered and organized. “Green” features such as energy-efficient light bulbs, double-sided meeting pads and water pitchers in lieu of bottled water help eliminate waste and reduce consumption.
- 2 natural gas filling stations and 2 charging stations are located within 5 kms from the hotel.
- „EAME Sustainable Fish and Seafood Guidance“: We only purchase fish and seafood from sustainable fisheries.
- The hotel purchases food and beverage from local and regional producers and suppliers.
- The „Meeting Impact Report“ (MIR) gives the possibility to determine the impact of a meeting or event on our environment.
- In addition to that, Sheraton Hanover Pelikan Hotel contributes to sustainability and environment protection with the following initiatives:
- Separate water metering for different areas and control
- Changing faucets to low flow faucets
- Change to LED lighting and to other high efficiency lightning, were LED is not available
- Occupancy sensors in guest room area
- Recycling in all hotel areas beside guestrooms
- Waste disposal on call (only if necessary)
- Minimization of styrofoam
- Environmentally preferred suppliers
- Usage of local products from local suppliers
- „Check-out for Children“ in co-operation with UNICEF
- Activities for common good
- Associate trainings in different areas, e.g. annual blood donation of ambassadors, supporting local aid organizations and building up a Green Council for checking further sustainable programs
- Security and health protection trainings for our associates
- Promotion of young associates as company that takes on trainees
- Road to awareness: Since its launch in 2008, Starwood’s Road to Awareness associates fundraising campaign has raised over $1.5 million to support different UNICEF education projects in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- SARF (Starwood Associate Relief Fund): The Starwood Associate Relief Fund has provided nearly US$ 2 million in grant funding since inception to support associates in need around the globe when disaster strikes.